Last Updated on December 28, 2021 by Mark Roberts
While creating a Roku account, the users are asked to enter their card details in the payment section. Setting up a Roku account is a simple process. But it requires the user to enter their card details for in-app purchases or to make it easier to purchase or subscribe to channels directly from their Roku device.
Are you disappointed or enraged that to create a Roku account, you must provide your credit card or PayPal payment information? Do you worry that Roku will charge you to register your device?
What if you don’t want to provide that information?
Contents on this page
- How to Open a Roku Account without Credit Card
- What to do if I decide to sign up for a fee-based channel on Roku?
- Why does Roku ask for payment information anyway?
- Does Roku charge to create an account or to register a Roku device?
How to Open a Roku Account without Credit Card
Here are three ways you can set up a Roku account without a credit card.
1. Use PayPal to bypass the payment wall
By selecting the PayPal option in the payment section, you can skip a few details and create an account having not entered any card details at all!
- When signing up for a new account, enter the required details and proceed until you reach the payment gateway
- When choosing the payment method, select PayPal
- Select Continue to PayPal
- At this point, you will be redirected to a PayPal window
- Close the window without entering any PayPal details
2. Use details of an inactive card
Another way to avoid entering any credit card details is by entering the details of an inactive card. This is a great way to avoid automatic billing while setting up your account.
- Sign up for a new account by logging on to www.roku.com and clicking on the Sign In button
- Click on Create a new account and enter the necessary details till you reach the payment option
- Here, select the Credit Card option and enter the details of your inactive card
- After the process is complete, go back to the home page and reload it to view your account
The third way to bypass the payment gateway is by registering to Roku via the nocc (No Credit Card) link. This lesser-known way of signing up completely skips the payment wall and creates your Roku account, completely hassle-free!
- Go to https://my.roku.com/signup/nocc
- Enter the necessary details
- After this step, you’ll be automatically directed to the homepage of Roku with your account
What to do if I decide to sign up for a fee-based channel on Roku?
If you decide to sign up for a fee-based channel on Roku, you will have to enter the billing details by using an active credit card or by entering all the necessary PayPal details.
Why does Roku ask for payment information anyway?
To access the paid channels, streaming services, and in-app purchases, Roku takes and stores credit card details from the users.
Does Roku charge to create an account or to register a Roku device?
No, Roku does not charge its customers to register a Roku device or to create an account. It is totally free. Roku only charges for fee-based subscriptions and other in-app purchases when you buy yourself.
By using any one of the above three methods, you can bypass the payment gateway and activate Roku without credit card.
In My Account, if you see Add a Payment Method to make a purchase pop up, you have successfully created a Roku account without entering any card details.
By creating an account, you will be able to access all the free streaming platforms. Streaming platforms like Netflix require a sign-in, so if you already have a subscription, you can access that content too.
While subscribing to any streaming platform or paid channel, you will have to enter card details for payment.